Christmas is a time full of great food, drink, family and friends. Unfortunately Christmas can have a dark side as each year, emergency rooms fill up and treat thousands of people for holiday related injuries.
Donesafe is here to help with a number of tips to stay safe this Christmas.
Christmas Trees & Decorations:
– When purchasing artificial trees, look for fire resistant models which resist burning and should extinguish quickly.
– When purchasing live trees, look for freshness as they should not lose as many needles.
– Never used lit candles on or around a tree.
– Check light sets for broken or cracked sockets, frayed or bare wires or loose connections.
– Before using outdoor lights, check that they have been certified for outdoor use.
– Always turn lights off when you are not at home.
– Test smoke alarms and have an evacuation plan.
– Ensure that all meats and poultry are fully cooked.
– Thoroughly wash raw vegetables and fruits.
– Keep your hands washed during food preparation.
– Always thaw meat in a refrigerator.
– Foods that require refrigeration should never be left at room temperature for extended periods.
Travelling to Parties:
– Do a thorough check of your vehicle before travelling (Tyres, Oil, Coolant, etc).
– Wear your seatbelt and ensure others do the same.
– Don’t drink and drive, organise a taxi or a designated driver.
– Ensure toys are age appropriate, check labels for age and safety instructions.
– Supervise children with electrical and battery operated toys.
The Donesafe team hope you have a Merry and Safe Christmas and a Happy New Year.